Popular demand for the Spinach-Mushroom Cannelloni recipe has finally catapulted me into adding this sumptuous recipe. Mmmmm! It’s a tasty one! Check it out in the Savoury Dishes section…
But, if you don’t have an hour or more to cook cannelloni for a crowd, try this warm and nutritious dish instead. It’s fast and easy and also warms the cockles of one’s heart…
Tasty Low-fat Turkey Chili
Serves 4-6 and takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
Tasty Turkey Chili --- fast and nutritious!
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs ground turkey
tbsp freshly dry roasted, then ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1-10 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cup frozen or canned corn
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup Italian parsley, chopped
Saute onions and garlic for a few minutes on medium heat till fragrant. Add turkey and cook through (about 8 – 10 minutes). Add cumin, coriander and cayenne, then beans and corn and tomato sauce. Heat through. Add 1 cup chopped Italian parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Serve on a bed of rice with a green salad on the side.
What to do with all the harvest from the garden is a recurrent summer theme.
Check out the new listing for one of my ultimate favourite soup recipes: Pear, Spinach and Stilton Soup. Yum! With its velvety texture, this soup is amazing as a meal on its own, or the precursor to a gourmet meal that follows.
August the 4th, 2011 is the date for the Pie Off. It’s at my place. My first pie-off.
Now… for those of you new to the tradition like me, here are the newly created, but highly official …
Official Pie-Off Rules
- Each guest must bring a pie – sweet or savoury. No looky-loos.
- You can have your pie – and eat it too. That’s the rule.
- The ideal number of pie-off participants is 12 — the largest number of slices a pie can be divided into without compromising its shape and texture.
- Pie-off attendance is secret. Sotte voce. If you are invited, keep that invitation under wraps, to yourself. There’s not enough pie to go around. Too many people love pie.
- Participants may enter both the Sweet and the Savoury competition.
- It is a competition. Pies are hotly debated, championed, and tasted.
- Each pie is divided into the number of slices of participants.
- Proper pie-off protocols must be followed: Savoury pies to start, a light lettuce salad to cleanse the palate, followed by the sweet pie selections.
- Everyone gets a vote and a slice of each pie. One vote per pie.
- As the pie is tasted, the pie cook tells the story of the pie. Where the ingredients came from, the tale of the gathering or hunting for the pie innards, the labours that lead to the pie, the pie lore…
- After all pies have been tried, the “off” part of the Pie Off begins. Votes are calculated for the winning pie in each of the two categories.
- In reality, everyone’s a winner as we all eat a lotta pie and have a great time together!